Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Great Gatsby Pgs. 97-111


                As I read chapter 6 of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, I realized that I had a great deal of confusion and many questions regarding some of the issues and encounters described in the chapter. To begin with, I was very confused while Nick described the tale of how James Gatz became the iconic and ever-intriguing character of Jay Gatsby, and it took me several pages to figure out that James Gatz was the younger Gatsby himself. While I think that this explanation of Gatsby’s youth was very insightful and critical to understanding the character of Gatsby, I have to be honest and say that I’m not entirely sure what conclusions I was supposed to draw from this story. While I found the tale to be interesting, I don’t know if it really proved anything to me except for the fact that Gatsby has always been ambitious and determined to attain glory, so I am afraid that I might be missing something important in this story. Furthermore, I was slightly confused by the incredibly awkward encounter between Gatsby, Nick, Mr. Sloane, Tom Buchanan, and the woman at Gatsby’s house for tea. If Mr. Sloane had absolutely no desire to join Gatsby for tea, and Gatsby was incredibly uncomfortable with his lack of acquaintance with Tom, then why did this visit even occur? Clearly nobody had any desire for the encounter to take place, and it hardly seemed necessary. Additionally, I am still dying to know what Gatsby’s current job is. The fact that Gatsby has confided very deep emotions in Nick and yet has never bothered to tell him something as impersonal as his current career really bothers me, for it makes me feel as though Gatsby is purposely hiding something. While Gatsby has danced around the subject of his career many times, he has never pinpointed his precise job, which makes me very concerned that this job is something dangerous or shady that could come into play later on in the story. The fact that Tom tells Daisy and Nick determinedly that he intends to ascertain Gatsby’s career makes me uneasy as I imagine how Tom might be able to use this knowledge against Gatsby in the future if he were to find out that Daisy and Gatsby love each other. With all of these details of the story confusing me, I am as intrigued with The Great Gatsby as ever, yet I hope that I’m not missing anything important that will come into play later on!

                While reading chapter 6, one particular conversation between Nick and Gatsby really arrested my attention and made me stop in the course of my reading to think about my own opinions on some foggy issues in life. Gatsby confesses to Nick that he wishes desperately for Daisy to have the courage to leave Tom so that he could sweep Daisy off her feet and take her to Louisville to be married in the city where they first fell in love, rekindling a relationship just like the one they had had in the past. Nick responds to this by saying, “You can’t repeat the past” (Fitzgerald, 110), and Gatsby retorts, “Can’t repeat the past… why of course you can” (Fitzgerald, 110)! At this point, I realized that, as much as I would love to agree with Gatsby, I feel that I have to agree with Nick on this controversial topic. While a person could spend their entire lives wishing for things to be like “the good ol’ days,” nobody can force things to happen just as they took place in the past, or else those dearest moments in life would lose their uniqueness and their immeasurably special quality. As much as a person might try to fight change, the fact remains that change is inevitable; however, if one adopts the right attitude about life, change becomes a weapon not for destroying the most precious moments, but rather for creating new and even more beautiful memories (and trust me, this is coming from somebody who hates change). I worry that, as the novel progresses, Gatsby’s mistaken illusion that he can spend his entire life recreating the past with Daisy rather than continuing on with the present will be his ultimate downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment