Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Great Gatsby Pgs. 113-125


               F. Scott Fitzgerald has loaded the beginning of chapter 7 of The Great Gatsby with a great deal of startling twists, turns, and insights into characters which really arrested me with surprise. Although it is blatantly obvious that Gatsby and Daisy love one another, I have to admit that I still was definitely not expecting Daisy to kiss Gatsby and tell him that she loved him in front of Nick and Jordan while Tom was just a couple rooms away. Moreover, I was even more startled when Tom intuitively noticed right away that Daisy had fallen in love with Gatsby, for though I knew that his eventual discovery of this fact was inevitable, I did not anticipate that this fact would dawn on him so quickly. Despite all of my surprise, I have to say that I really lost a good deal of respect for Daisy in this section of the novel. To begin with, I almost completely forgot that Daisy and Tom had a daughter until she reappeared in this chapter for a brief moment with her mother. Even if leaving one’s children with a caretaker for a majority of the day was the norm for wealthy women of the time, I still find it irresponsible and downright annoying that Daisy spends so little time with her daughter while she whisks herself away to parties that last until the middle of the night. Plus, whether Tom cheated on Daisy or not, I strongly believe that Daisy is wrong to be flirting with Gatsby while she is still married to Tom. While I do not believe that Daisy should stay with Tom, and I am genuinely happy that she has found happiness with Gatsby, I feel that it is critical for her to practice some self-restraint in beginning a relationship with Gatsby until she has left Tom; otherwise, what kind of example is she setting for her daughter? I know that Daisy was cruelly hurt by Tom’s infidelity, and I would not blame her in the slightest for leaving him for Gatsby, but if this is the path that she chooses, she must hasten to be honest with Tom and divorce him before becoming involved with Tom, or else she will be cheating on her husband and making herself no better than Tom Buchanan. After all, no matter how badly Daisy was hurt, we all know that two wrongs never make a right.

                As I was reading chapter 7 of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, I also noticed the tremendously significant role that Mr. Wilson plays in the novel despite the fact that he is merely a minor character. After reading of how Mr. Wilson was working exceptionally hard in order to raise enough money to move Myrtle and himself out West, I realized how much he truly loved his wife, and I am convinced that he may be the only character in the book who truly loves someone else with a pure, unselfish love. Every other character in the novel seems to harbor a love corrupted by scandal, infidelity, hubris, dishonesty, or selfish motives. On the other hand, Mr. Wilson seems to love Myrtle unconditionally and is so distraught at hearing the news that she was unfaithful to him that he became physically ill. It seems to me as though his role in the story was perhaps to be a subtle reminder of what genuine love and dedication to a spouse should look like, since no other spouses in the novel seem to have any regard for the values of faithfulness or respect. Furthermore, Nick notices while he, Jordan, and Tom stop at Mr. Wilson’s shop the stark contrast between Tom and Mr. Wilson’s characters. In this moment, he remarks that, “I stared at him and then at Tom… and it occurred to me that there was no difference between men… so profound as the difference between the sick and the well” (Fitzgerald, 124). When Tom learned of Daisy’s infidelity, he experienced rage and suffered from a sorely wounded pride, yet he remained relatively well, whereas Mr. Wilson was so distraught upon learning of his own wife’s unfaithfulness that he had become terribly ill. I believe that Fitzgerald manufactured this juxtaposition of Tom Buchanan to Mr. Wilson to emphasize the cruelty of Tom’s character. Furthermore, I believe that the fact that Mr. Wilson is moving Myrtle out West will give Tom even more motivation to fight Gatsby for Daisy’s love; therefore, despite the fact that Mr. Wilson is a minor character, his role in The Great Gatsby ultimately ended up being incredibly significant.
                         Tom sells his old car to Mr. Wilson to give him the money to move West.

No comments:

Post a Comment