Monday, July 30, 2012

The Great Gatsby Pgs. 39-48

                F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby is becoming rapidly more compelling as we finally begin to chisel away at the great mystery of the identity of Gatsby himself. I have been restless since the first few pages of the novel to learn about Gatsby, and now that Nick Carraway has finally been invited to one of his weekend festivities, we are allowed a little more insight into his life, although the amount of mysteries surrounding his character still greatly outnumbers the amount of tidbits we have ascertained about him. I found it very interesting to learn in this chapter that a majority of the people who attend Gatsby’s parties are not even invited, but merely show up. Furthermore, I was even more surprised to learn that Gatsby seems to rarely make appearances at his own parties. These facts make me question his motives in hosting exorbitantly elaborate parties every weekend for people he does not even know while not even bothering to mingle or talk to many of the guests. Considering that he has allowed numerous far-fetched and horrible rumors to swirl around his name in conversation without ever confronting them, he certainly does not strike me as the kind of person who lives for their reputation and status in society; why then would he bother to host such parties every weekend? I wonder if he does this simply because he is lonely, and besides, it appears that he has no one else to spend his great wealth on other than himself; nevertheless, I have to admit that I really have no idea what any of his motives are nor do I know hardly anything about him. However, I was pleased to discover through his brief conversation with Nick Carraway that he did in fact serve in the American Army in World War I, since some of the rumors Nick had heard thus far claimed that he was related to Kaiser Wilhelm and was a German spy during the war. I am truly glad that Gatsby has invited Nick to join him on his new hydroplane one day, because I am anxious to learn more and more about his ever-elusive and incredibly mysterious character.

                At the point in this section of The Great Gatsby where Nick and Jordan are searching for Gatsby and happen to encounter a drunken man in Gatsby’s library, I found the man’s insistence on the genuineness of Gatsby’s collection of books to be symbolic of Gatsby’s character himself. In the brief conversation that this drunken man holds with Nick and Jordan, he continually insists that the books in the library are real when he remarks, “I thought they’d be a nice durable cardboard. Matter of fact, they’re absolutely real” (Fitzgerald, 45). In a similar manner, I believe that many people assume that Gatsby is fake, or “a nice durable cardboard,” so to speak. Since the public knows so little about his life, work, origins, or personality, people have fabricated numerous rumors, and I think that people just assume that he has gone to such great lengths to protect his identity because he must have something to hide—he must be a fake. Ultimately, however, I think Gatsby is a genuine man who, for whatever reason, has just simply chosen a more private and isolated lifestyle. Nick Carraway noticed within a few minutes of meeting him something that nobody else who had ever attended one of his many parties had bothered to see: that in something as simple as a look, Jay Gatsby could convey an overwhelmingly peaceful sense of understanding. So many people in high society really are fake, so I think that the public expected no less of Gatsby; however, I truly believe that he will be one of the few exceptions to this concept. If people actually took the time to know Gatsby the way that the drunken man in the library took the time to study his books, they too may be surprised to learn that nothing about him is fake—it is genuinely real. Regardless of all the rumors surrounding him, I agree completely with Jordan Baker when she states, “He’s just a man named Gatsby” (Fitzgerald, 48).

No comments:

Post a Comment