Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Great Gatsby Pgs. 1-11

             Although jumping into an entirely new story after having spent so long analyzing The House of Mirth seemed a little strange at first, I have to say that I already have a feeling that I am going to enjoy reading F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. I have already noticed within the first several pages of the book some techniques employed by Fitzgerald that I wonder if he will use throughout the book. For example, the fact that Fitzgerald often utilizes very elevated diction is already apparent through his insertion of phrases such as “hostile levity” (Fitzgerald, 1) and “flabby impressionability which is dignified under the name of ‘creative temperament’” (Fitzgerald, 2). The aspect of the beginning to The Great Gatsby which arrested my attention the most, however, was the novel’s narrator and point of view. I immediately noticed that the story is told from the first person point of view, and I think that this will be a nice change considering that The House of Mirth was written entirely in the third person omniscient point of view. The element of the narration which I found to be most spectacular, however, was the entertaining voice of the main character Nick Carraway. Normally, I don’t expect the narrator of a story to be particularly comical, witty, or insightful. Many novels are obviously not even written in the first person point of view, but if they are, I would expect nothing more out of the narrator than for that individual to share their thoughts, feelings, or reactions to particular events or encounters in the course of the story; however, I have already noticed that this novel’s narrator, Nick Carraway, is very intriguing and humorous. Though we do not know a great deal about his character yet, I can already tell from the first few pages of the novel that he is a character I respect. The fact that he acknowledges that he has been granted many luxurious privileges due to his wealth, reserves judgment of others, and had the courage to travel East in the pursuit of a different career choice than was anticipated by his family really impresses me. The most prominent reason that I find him to be such a valuable narrator, however, is because of his undeniable sarcasm and humor. While I did enjoy reading The House of Mirth, nobody can deny the fact that the novel contained little humor, and at times I found portions of the book to be dull or lagging. On the other hand, as I read The Great Gatsby, I’m very entertained by Carraway’s witty remarks and sarcastic digs at other characters or life itself. For example, he remarks that, “…just as things grow in fast movies, I had the familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer” (Fitzgerald, 4). Additionally, when Daisy asks Nick if everyone back in the Midwest misses her, he replies dramatically, “The whole town is desolate… there’s a persistent wail all night along the north shore” (Fitzgerald, 9). I find his humor and sarcasm to be very entertaining and definitely a reason to look forward to learning his perception of the events of the novel as they unfold.

                The last noteworthy aspect of the beginning of the novel that came to my attention was Daisy’s personality and behavior. While I may be biased because I still have a picture in my mind of wealthy women of the early twentieth century being just like Miss Lily Bart from The House of Mirth, I honestly found Daisy to be a little immature, especially considering that she is married and has a child. While my judgment of her may be a little premature (Nick Carraway would probably disapprove of my quick judgment), she seems to me to imitate the mannerisms of a child, especially when she whines almost pathetically about insignificant things such as having candles lit at the dinner table. I will definitely be interested to see how her character develops as the story progresses!
West Egg, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment