Friday, July 13, 2012

The House of Mirth, Book II, Chapters XIII and XIV


Edith Wharton

               All I can say after finishing Edith Wharton’s The House of Mirth is that that might have been the most depressing and heartbreaking ending to a book I have ever read! For someone who obsesses over love stories the way I do, that conclusion was just about the most depressing thing I could imagine; however, after having read the entire book, I now finally feel that I’m informed enough to determine my opinion about the novel. Even though I have to say I was disappointed in the ending, I truly feel, in my opinion, that The House of Mirth was an incredible book, and Wharton did an excellent job of conveying critical messages about love, wealth, jealousy, and high society in a captivating plot while also using unmatched literary techniques to accomplish this purpose.

                One of the most prominent reasons that I found The House of Mirth to be a remarkable book is that I can truly walked away from reading this novel with a feeling of confidence in knowing exactly what themes and messages the author was intending to convey, and I truly feel that the themes explained in this novel have impacted me. I personally find the themes in many books to be obscure or subjective; furthermore, even if I can determine the theme of a book easily, rarely do I feel that I have actually learned something incredibly substantial because of my ability to pinpoint the lessons the author supported. In the case of the House of Mirth, however, I feel that I will forever be aware of the power social politics and ostracism can hold over a person. I walked away from reading this book with a genuine resentment of the principles which high society upheld, such as selfishness, wealth, and status being the ultimate purposes of existence. Furthermore, I felt that Wharton did a phenomenal job in developing very complex characters with deep and complicated internal struggles and issues. Many of the characters, such as Selden, I did not fully understand until the last chapter of the novel. Wharton has proved that she is a literary genius by manufacturing her novel in such a way that the reader is able to make many personal connections to the characters and therefore draw personal lessons from the actions, decisions, and emotions that they experienced. I, for example, have take away from this novel the personal lesson of the utmost importance of saying what you feel and what you need to say at the exact moment you need to express it, lest the opportunity pass you by forever.

                In addition to the fact that the characters that Wharton developed throughout the course of The House of Mirth were very complex, I really marveled at the way in which she was able to articulate their thoughts and opinions in such a manner that I was able to feel the emotions felt by the characters as they were feeling them themselves. In other words, when Gerty was heartbroken by her unrequited love for Selden, I too was heartbroken for her, and when Lily was driven to helpless misery by her isolation and loneliness, I was incredibly depressed and lonely for her as well! I feel that few authors are able to create characters in such a relatable way that the reader can truly sympathize with them as the story progresses, so I really commend Wharton for this.

                Lastly, I really enjoyed this book because of the amazing literary techniques that Wharton used throughout the novel. I was surprised to realize how many techniques I was able to identify as soon as I read them in my novel due to the fact that she did such a wonderful job of utilizing a wide variety of techniques. While her diction was sometimes a little to elaborate in my opinion, her word choice was truly remarkable, and her imagery allowed me to feel as if the scenery was coming alive. Most importantly, her carefully-constructed similes and metaphors were incredibly clever and were constantly providing me with more clarification on many of the thoughts and emotions of the characters which Wharton was attempting to convey. Ultimately, even though I will forever be bitter and depressed about how tragically the book ended, Wharton even concluded the novel in the most positive note possible when Selden remarks, “…and if the moment had been fated to pass from them before they could seize it, he saw now that, for both, it had been saved whole out of the ruin of their lives” (Wharton, 268). In my own personal opinion, I really do believe that The House of Mirth was a very powerful, intriguing, and enjoyable book to read, and Wharton is a remarkable author who did an incredibly job in fabricating such a complex story.

No comments:

Post a Comment