Tuesday, July 10, 2012

House of Mirth, Book 2, Chapters III and IV


                Within chapters 3 and 4 of Book II of Edith Wharton’s The House of Mirth, a cascade of unfortunate and completely unexpected events buries Lily under the weight of a number of social and financial troubles, essentially destroying her entire life as she knows it. However, as Lily undergoes the hardest trials of her life thus far, I have begun to gain a different perception of Lily and really begun to analyze her character. Recently, while reading the novel, I had honestly lost some respect for Lily, because she seemed so hopelessly selfish and spoiled that I found it hard to sympathize with her troubles. However, after reading of Lily’s reactions to many of the unfair misfortunes which befell her within these two chapters, I realized that she is not a static character doomed to a life of self-absorption; rather, she is a constantly-changing round character who has transformed a great deal throughout the course of the book. In fact, I hardly find it fair to classify Lily as very spoiled or selfish at all anymore. When the controversy surrounding Mr. and Mrs. Dorset’s potential divorce arose, Lily placed all of her own worries aside and genuinely wished nothing more than to help her friends through their time of need, and she even granted her unwavering loyalty and support to Bertha, who had not always been so friendly to Lily in the past. Even when Bertha cruelly disregarded this extension of friendship and instead fabricated lies about Lily in order to regain power within her own marriage, Lily handled herself with admirable elegance. Lily had meant nothing more than to aid a friend in a time of need, and instead, that same friend manipulated her for her own personal gain, permanently ostracizing Lily from all of her friends and crushing the social status and reputation which she had worked all of her life to obtain. To make matters worse, after the unexpected death of Mrs. Peniston, Lily was informed that she had been disinherited and was left with no money and no place to stay. However, despite all of these horrible tragedies in Lily’s life which burdened her through no fault of her own, she bore herself with grace, composure, and maturity at all times: she did lash out nor attack any of the culprits in her downfall. The fact that Lily met such harsh tribulations with quiet acceptance without feeling the need for revenge proves that she has gained a great deal of maturity that I had never seen in her before.

 The full extent of Miss Bart’s transformation is manifested in her conversation with Gerty about how all of these tragedies began when Lily explains, “Why, the beginning was in my cradle, I suppose—in the way I was brought up, and the things I was taught to care for. Or no—I won’t blame anybody for my faults: I’ll say it was in my blood…” (Wharton, 183). The entire time that I have been reading The House of Mirth, I have marveled at how Lily has never seemed to have taken any responsibility for her actions and has always seemed to expect that others will resolve her problems for her; however, with this quote, Lily has made it evident that she accepts full responsibility for all of her imprudent choices and flaws which may have led her to the dark existence that she was currently living. Also, this quote reminded me to not be so critical of Lily, for even though she can carry an air of superiority and act very selfishly at times, she truly was raised to act no differently. Self-centeredness has been the mindset Lily was taught to adopt since birth and will have to work with disciplined fervor to overcome. By no means am I implying that Lily is perfect; even in chapter 4 she shows her incredible greed upon hearing the news of Mrs. Peniston’s death and thinking nothing more of the great fortune she will inherit. Despite this, after reading chapters 3 and 4, I have no formed a different view of Lily in my analysis of her character and have come to find that she is far more complex than I originally imagined. As the book progresses, I hope that she will utilize her newly found humility to make wise choices that will ensure her happiness for the rest of her life.
*The transformation Lily undergoes in this section of The House of Mirth reminded me somewhat of the chorus of the song "I Don't Want To Be" by Gavin Degraw. The chorus can be found from 0:35 to 1:00 in the YouTube video I posted above.

No comments:

Post a Comment